Ursuline Education in Kenya

At the request of Monsignor Dunne four Ursulines from Ireland arrived in Mutune, Kitui in October 1957. The problem of protecting and educating young women and girls in Kitui was urgent and challenging. Education of women was not seen as important at the time. When a Girls’ Primary School was first opened in 1956 only two girls registered. By 1958 there were ninety on the register. As providing teachers was a prerequisite to success in the area that same year the sisters together Kiltegan fathers and lay missionaries began teaching in the newly opened Teacher Training Centre in Mutune.

January 1958 saw the seedlings of Adult Education being planted. At first women gathered to learn the basics of dress-making etc. but very soon were eager to learn how to read and write. This work blossomed into a thriving Social Centre where young women continue to be taught a variety of skills

In 1963, the year in which Kenya became independent, Kitui had one secondary school for boys which had been set up by the Catholic diocese. Bishop Dunne saw the need for a secondary school for girls and so St. Angela’s Secondary School began with its first class of twenty boarders. Today it is a triple streamed school.

As the years passed the sisters spread their educational wings to other areas in Kenya, to Trans-Nozia County and to Turkana County.

Today Ursulines continue the work of education in Kenya

Mutune Primary School – Kitui County

St Columba’s Technical Training College – Kitui County

St.Francis Nyumbani – Kitui County

St. Ursula’s Pre-school – Trans-Nozia County

St. Ursula’s  Primary School – Trans-Nozia County

Forest School – Trans-Nozia County

Turkana Girls Secondary School, Lorugumu -Turkana County

 

http://www.stcolumbasvocationalcentre.com/