Ursulines: Temple Street, Sligo

The Ursulines arrived in Sligo, from Athlone, on April 11th, 1850.  Convinced of the value of education to liberate and empower, they immediately set about opening senior and junior schools.  Despite their struggle with poverty and the exigencies of day-to-day life, the records, annals and board of studies from those early years show a clear psychology of education.  For example, teachers were expected to have a kind, respectful and liberal attitude towards each student and “not to magnify trifles” (Annals).

Both junior and senior schools continue to flourish in Sligo town as Scoil Ursula and Ursuline College.  Between them they have over 1000 students.

In 1952, at the request of the Department of Education, the community founded St Angela’s College of Home Economics, now a College of the National University of Ireland, Galway, with an enrolment of over 1000 students.

In 1957, at the request of St. Patrick’s Missionary Society, Kiltegan, the Sligo Ursulines sent four sisters to Africa to make a foundation and open their first school in the Diocese of Kitui in Kenya, East Africa.

In 1980, two years after becoming part of the Irish Ursuline Union, three sisters moved into the newly established parish of Cartron.

Today the sisters reside in a purpose built Convent on Temple Street and continue to actively support the staff in the schools and college as they seek to share the Ursuline ethos with the students in their care.