Ursuline houses of our Province today
Cork City: Cove Lane (now Douglas Street) 9th May 1771-1825 moved to Blackrock 1825 to 2020
Thurles: opened 27th September 1787
Waterford: opened 6th August 1816
Sligo: opened 1850 moved to Temple Street 2006
Sandyford, Dublin: 24th September 1989
Cardigan, Wales: officially opened 8th December 1989
Booterstown, Co Dublin: which serves as the Provincialate House
Shannon Drive, Waterford: opened 26th August 1991
Meadowgrove, Cork: opened 3rd December 1991 now part of the Cork community
No. 1 Saint Anne’s, Waterford: opened August 1994
Brescia House, Ballytivnan, Sligo: opened 2008
Cork Community: established 2020 bringing together all the sisters who live and minister in the Cork area
Today sisters also minister Ballaghadereen, Co Roscommon; Little Bray, Co Wicklow; Shannonbridge, Co Offaly; Tralee, Co Kerry.
Where we have lived and ministered…
En-route to making the foundation in Sligo in 1850 Ursuline communities settled in Limerick, Ennis, Galway and Athlone for some years.
From Blackrock, Cork in April 1812 Ursuline Sisters made a foundation in Bloomingdale, New York which closed in 1815 with the Sisters returning to Cork.
From Blackrock, Cork in November 1834 Ursuline Sisters travelled to Charleston SC, USA to make a foundation until 1844. Eventually the community divided into two groups with some Sisters making a foundation in Springfield, Illinois with the Brown County Ursulines in 1857 and others moving to Columbia SC in 1858 until being absorbed in 1938 by the Ursulines of Louisville.
From Athlone, Ursuline Sisters made a foundation in Guyana in 1847 and Barbados in 1894. These two foundations joined the Roman Union of the Order of Saint Ursula in 1927.
From Blackrock, Cork in August 1887 a Convent and School was opened at Saint Patrick’s Hill, Cork City. While Saint Angela’s College Secondary School remains the Convent closed in 2006.
In 1947 the Waterford community established a Junior School in Tramore, Co Waterford which closed in 1963.
From Thurles in 1948 a foundation was made in Brecon, Wales which closed in February 2020.
From Sligo in 1950 Ursuline Sisters moved out to Lough Gill where they established a Community and Saint Angela’s Third Level College. While the College continues to flourish the Community was closed in 2015.
From Waterford in August 1956 Ursuline Sisters made a foundation in Sarnia, Canada which amalgamated into the Chatham Union of Ursulines in the mid-1960’s.
From Sligo in 1957 Ursuline Sisters made the first foundation in Mutune in the Diocese of Kitui, Kenya which is the origin of the Ursuline Sisters Kenya Group which is part of the Roman Union of the Order of Saint Ursula since 2018.
From Blackrock, Cork in 1960 Ursuline Sisters made a foundation in Columbus, Georgia which closed in 1998.
From Waterford in 1963 the Ursuline Sisters made a foundation and opened in schools in Cabinteely, Co Dublin. Today the school is now Cabinteely Community School while the community closed in 2017.
From Sligo in 1968 a community was opened at Pembroke Park in Dublin for sisters who were studying at Universities there. The house became the first Generalate of the Irish Ursuline Union before it moved to Cabinteely. The house was then closed in the early 1990’s.
In 1980 a community was established at Cartron Point, Sligo to serve the needs of the parish which closed in the early 2000’s.
In September 1989 a community was opened in Sandyford, Co Dublin to serve the needs of the growing parish.
In 1996 a House of Prayer was opened Ard Chiarain in Shannonbridge, Co Roscommon which was closed in 2019.
In 2008 a community was established at Brescia House, Ballytivnan, Sligo.